Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

The Ivory Tower of Irony



Last summer my family and I visited a high profile United States art museum. Which museum you might ask?  I will not name names here or disclose locations; my point is not to point fingers, but to relate my experience. This trip was a good day, a gorgeous day, an eye-opening day. This particular museum was organized, in a basic sense, with two main categories; historic/traditional art and modern/post-modern art. These were housed in different buildings. As one would expect the traditional art was in the “traditional” building, and the modern art in the modern building. We started our tour on the historic side.


During our tour of the historic side, I was completely blown away. Room after room I was completely astounded by the superb talent. Talent that could even surpass a genre I didn’t care for or knew nothing about. Exquisitely detailed painting, exquisitely expressive painting with no detail. Sculpture that captured a posture so well it became more human than human. A truly inspiring experience.


We moved on to the modern side, my anticipation high. To say I ended up disappointed is an understatement. Disturbed might be a better word for it. Most of the art was dismally untalented, trite, boring, or a transparent attempt to shock. It seems as if the main goal was who could out-irony who. I am no art historian, and I fully recognize that even a minimum understanding of art history can dramatically increase your understanding and appreciation of an artwork, or period, or movement. However, most people are not art historians either, so I feel I view art like most other people.  I want to make it clear that I am not advocating a return to “traditional” art over “modern” art. I love modern art, and see beautiful and meaningful examples of it daily, via the internet. No, I am still trying to sort this out, but I think what was disappointing and disturbing was that the so-called Art Establishment chose (for the most part) to display the drivel. Why? Do elite educations know better? Is the Establishment defining Art as that which shocks, and not that which might enhance your life? Is irony the enhancement my life needs? Speculation abounds, and I would love to hear your comments. What are we to make of this?


For me, I also came away with a vague sense of hope. I saw what the Art Establishment advocates, and I see that the rest of the world is moving on anyway; creating art that is beautiful, well crafted and meaningful, whether it is in a museum or not. I know where I would rather be. Moving on and keep on doing what is in my heart to do. I like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment